Have you ever been in a situation where you wished that your mouth was more protected? Whether it’s playing contact sports, grinding your teeth at night, or just getting into a random scuffle with someone, having the right protection for your mouth can make all the difference.
That’s why custom-made protective mouthguards are so important – they provide an extra layer of safety and security for your lips and teeth when you need them most. Not only do these guards help prevent serious injury to yourself, but they also offer peace of mind knowing that you have something reliable on hand if things get out of hand.
Am I a candidate for mouthguards?
Your dentist may recommend a custom-made mouthguard if you participate in activities that involve contact or risk of impact to the face and mouth, such as boxing, football, hockey, wrestling and skateboarding. Teeth grinding or bruxism, which is a common sleep disorder, is another situation where your dentist may suggest using a mouthguard to protect the teeth from wear and tear.
How do custom-made mouthguards work?
The process starts by taking a mould of your teeth, which will then be used to create an exact replica of your dental structure. This mould is then used to craft a customized guard that is tailored specifically to fit your individual needs. From here, the guard is ready to go and can be used immediately.
Not only do these custom-made guards provide optimal protection, but they are also incredibly comfortable to wear. They fit snugly against your teeth, providing a secure fit that won’t cause any discomfort or issues while in use. Plus, because of the material they’re made from, they won’t cause any irritation or discomfort to your gums or lips.
Dental problems that mouthguards treat
Custom-made mouthguards are designed to treat a variety of dental problems including:
- Teeth grinding: A custom-fitted mouthguard can help to stop the teeth from grinding against each other.
- Dental trauma: Custom-made mouthguards can help to reduce the impact of any accidental injuries during contact sports and provide additional protection for your teeth and gums.
- Gum recession: By providing a cushion between your teeth, custom-made mouthguards can help to stop the gums from receding while also preventing any gum irritation.
- Jaw misalignment: Mouthguards can help to reduce any pain caused by a misaligned jaw by keeping the jaw in the correct position and helping reduce the severity of a potential injury.
- Sleep apnea: If snoring is a problem for you, a custom-fitted mouthguard can help to open the airways and reduce the symptoms associated with sleep apnea.
Keep your smile safe
Having the right protection for your teeth and gums is essential, especially if you’re constantly engaging in activities that put them at risk. Making the right decision when it comes to protecting your mouth is key. With a custom-made protective mouthguard, you can make sure that you have the right kind of protection when it counts most.