Facial rejuvenation with your trusted dentist
Facial or perioral rejuvenation is a minimally invasive procedure to rebuild, restore and revitalise the perioral region of your face.
What is the perioral region and how does it age?
The perioral region of your face basically covers the soft tissue in the lower part of your face. Over time, the perioral region ages, and loses volume, natural hydration and elasticity. Bone loss and gravity contribute further to aging since a lack of support from your jaw and cheek bones causes the soft tissue of the perioral region to stretch and sag.
In the perioral region, the following areas of concern may change and develop as we age:
- Face shape
- Lips and lip lines (incl. the upper/ lower lips, cupid’s bow and vermillion)
- Nasiolabial folds (also known as the smile or laugh lines)
- Marionette lines (which run from the corners of your mouth to the chin)
- Chin and pre-jowl sulcus (the areas on either side of the chin)
- Jaw line
How can perioral rejuvenation help improve my smile?
Your smile is more than having bright, healthy teeth. Smiles are complemented by the way your lips look, and the way that the skin appears around the perioral region. When you are younger, all of your lower facial features are firm, full and balanced.
As you age, your lower face changes for the worse, and doesn’t always reflect the way that we feel on the inside. That’s where perioral rejuvenation treatment can help reverse the changes in the way your face frames your smile.
Generally, there are two ways that you can improve the lower face region around your smile.
- Dermal fillers provide immediate results, and are a minimally invasive treatment used to restore volume, plumpness and lift in order to fill in lines, wrinkles and sagging skin. They can be used to change or enhance facial features including your lips, mouth area, nose, cheeks, chin and jawline.
- Muscle relaxants are a non-surgical treatment used to soften and smooth out facial lines and wrinkles caused by muscle contractions. They work by blocking nerve signals to the facial muscles that are responsible for lines and wrinkles.
Why see your dentist?
There’s a common misconception that perioral rejuvenation treatments are not related to dentistry as a whole. That couldn’t be any further from the truth. In fact, your dentist has the most comprehensive knowledge and understanding of your facial anatomy over any medical practitioner or beautician.
Part of our professional dental skill set is to know exactly where all your nerves, veins, arteries and muscles are located. As far as facial injections go, we perform them routinely on a daily basis – all within a modern facility that adheres to the strictest standards of hygiene and sterilisation. We also understand facial aesthetics intimately, due to our experience and expertise in providing cosmetic dental treatments.
Lastly, we can do something that no other cosmetic professional can – and that is to design, create and manage a single treatment plan that combines facial rejuvenation treatment and cosmetic dentistry for a complete smile makeover, all at one convenient location.
To find out more about how perioral rejuvenation can improve and enhance your smile, please contact our friendly staff at Leeming Dental on 9310 3367, or book a consultation online today.